Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Select Box Factory v1.1 Wish List

I am working on version 1.1, cleaning up any logic or display bugs and trying to make it a bit more elegant... in the meantime, i am planning a list of features to include in the next revision.

Everything grayed out is now completed in version 2.o, at the top of this blog.
  • Port over to mooTools v1.2 (possible future version)
  • Port over as a jQuery 1.2. I've converted my first widget to jQuery and the transition was not bad.
  • The ability not to have to use ctrl key to add options to a multi-select box, although I will leave shift alone. (version 2.1) Also, somehow something for mac users, who have the command key...?
  • The ability for the user to expand or collapse the box as they see fit. It would literally be a pliable, resizable widget to let users see more. This will be available in limited scenarios.
  • The ability to invert selections. (version 2.1)
  • The ability to emulate and take optgroups. (version 2.1)
  • performance and display enhancements.
  • Eliminate the need to have any divs in the HTML to create a dropdown dynamically. I thought i had this covered, but it needs a few more tweaks. Apparently you still have to have 2 divs on the screen. I will clean this up asap.
  • I was considering also showing how you can use Ajax to load the dialog. I do this at work, using HTML but you can also parse XML or JSON (using mooTools), and I can show examples for how both are done. (version 2.1)
  • The possibility of a history... recording last few items found (for the sift tool). This may be too much. (possible future version)
  • I thought I might also show the dropdown being used inside a dialog. You may have some trouble getting these to work positioned absolutely, and I can show how I've solved this problem, even getting dropdowns to stack with zIndex so they don't open under each other.

No comments: